Friday, February 25, 2005
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp melted butter
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup of buttermilk (or maybe a little more)
1 large egg
water to mix to right consistency
Mix all ingredients together, adding water to get a good pouring consistency.
Try adding blueberries or cranberries.
If you can't get Casalare flour, use GF Flour that has maize meal in it (it will be yellowish in colour) or use 1/8 cup maize flour and 3/8 cup ordinary GF flour.
Thursday, February 17, 2005
Chocolate and Cherry Friands
Butter for greasing
½ cup plain flour
½ cup Dutch cocoa
11/4 cups icing sugar
1 cup (100gr) ground hazelnuts
5 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla essence
180gr butter, melted
525gr pitted black cherries canned in syrup
2. Brush 10 friand moulds with melted butter and place on a baking tray.
3. Sift flour, cocoa and icing sugar into a large bowl. Stir in hazelnuts.
4. Put egg whites into a medium sized bowl and whisk with a fork until frothy, then fold through dry ingredients.
5. Stir through vanilla and melted butter until just combined.
6. Spoon batter into prepared moulds.
7. Press 2 cherries into each friend, covering with batter.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until friends pop up in the middle and spring back when lightly pressed with finger.
9. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
10.Serve with remaining pitted cherries
Tuesday, February 01, 2005
Cranberry Ricotta Muffins
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup maize meal
(polenta if you can't get the floury maize meal)
3/4 cup caster sugar
250g ricotta cheese
125g melted butter
3/4 cup water
1 & 1/4 cups frozen cranberries (or blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Lightly grease 12 muffin cases.
- Combine all ingredients except berries.
- Half fill muffin cases with mixture,
- Place a few berries into each muffin case.
- Cover with remaining mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until cooked.
Delicious served with honey.
Gluten-free Raspberry Muffins (Friands)
grated rind of half a lemon
140g icing sugar
1/3 cup Casalare gluten free flour (or 2 tbs fine polenta & 1/4 cup cornflour)
75g butter (melted)
2 large eggs (use 5 eggs for a double mixture)
Fresh (or Frozen) Raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Blend eggs in food processor till whipped.
- Add dry ingredients and butter and process until just mixed.
- Pour into greased muffin cases.
- Dot with raspberries (2-3 per muffin works well).
- Cook 15-20 minutes until brown on top.
(The raspberries will disappear, but are delicious to bite into.)
Makes 8 muffins.